Lead UI Developer for Global Public Health
We are looking for a lead UI developer experience to work with us on software to help improve healthcare in Nigeria, Kenya and beyond. At Field, we design and build software to solve very difficult health logistics problems in frontier markets. Our tech has to function in remote locations with poor connectivity and must oftentimes be used by people with low tech literacy. You’ll be a key part of the design team, and work with both the design team and a cross-functional dev/product team to build offline-friendly, highly performant web applications.
As the lead UI developer, you will help investigate user needs and design solutions alongside our other technology and subject-matter experts, playing a key role in building and delivering our mission-critical services. In this capacity, you'll lead on building and supporting our software’s interface, with a focus on well-structured, maintainable CSS, modular component/design systems, and performant UIs. You will be in charge of maintaining and extending the design system, and mentoring less experienced team members in all things front-end. You will be a core member of the design team and contribute to its processes and output, but will work closely with other developers across the stack in both Berlin and Nigeria, supporting each other and collaborating through code reviews.
What you’ll do every day
In the day-to-day, you will:
- Implement front-end components in our design system and/or interfaces in our app, using CSS / React.
- Participate in the myriad design decisions that come with turning static mockups into a living UI.
- Collaborate with other senior engineers on decisions around our architecture, taking the lead on the front-end architecture decisions.
- Advocate for the design system and help developers across the stack to use front-end components.
- Implement updates to our brand websites (built on JAMstack principles).
- Generate meaningful prototypes to demo features or test ideas with users.
Some travel to our offices (and out to the field) in Nigeria or Kenya may be required. We are generally pretty flexible with travel arrangements.
- Professional experience architecting front-end systems to address complex business needs.
- Excellent communication and documentation skills, including experience working in cross-cultural settings.
- A deep curiosity about browser performance, front end design patterns, and critical evaluation of new technologies.
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to think about solutions in an holistic way.
- You care deeply about usability.
- You communicate thoughtfully and succinctly.
- You feel comfortable working in lean environments with agile methods.
- You are fluent in English.
Bonus points for:
- Experience in performant UI animation
- Data visualization skills