Lead Product Designer
At MapLarge we deliver user experiences with hundreds of dynamic reusable data driven components that often automatically re-assemble themselves into different configurations automatically based on user context, events and data queries. Our user interfaces come with clever, opinionated defaults that make common workflows easy, but are also reconfigurable either by end users or developers with a deep suite of API options.
Role: We are seeking a Lead UX Designer to contribute to the success of our data visualization web and mobile application frameworks for spatial data. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with both data visualization and UX and passionate about creating reusable, reconfigurable user interfaces. A successful candidate will be able to communicate with product managers and engineers about design and user experience issues that need to be solved in a way that generalizes across many different product configurations. As a successful candidate you are a passionate builder of interactive data driven user experiences with a flair for interactive visuals. You are an overall product design expert with deep expertise spanning web, desktop, and mobile. You are obsessed with breaking new creative ground, through crafting the best ideas and building reusable components that can be recombined in interesting ways.
- 5+ years of experience in fast-paced creative environments using data
- Skilled data driven storyteller and dashboard creator, with experience working in a multidisciplinary environment to develop concepts that delight customers and deliver business results
- Possess not just exceptional product design skills, but the ability to implement strategic and conceptual thinking as well
- A compelling portfolio of work that demonstrates high-quality design work that also tells a story that you are a deep design thinker comfortable creating reusable components.
- Strong information presentation (visual and written) skills
- Comfortable with data driven components and interactive UI
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Sketch
- Experience with complex single page applications and API frameworks
- Experience with creating frameworks and libraries of reusable components
- Experience with data driven UI
- Experience with data visualization using charts, infographics, maps and dashboards
- Passionate about interactive data visualizations
- Design simple, elegant, data-driven, user-centric experiences that delight users
- Define the user experience, interactions, and user interface through user flows, information architecture, sketches and wireframes, and visual design
- Help shape the product strategy and vision
- Build functional prototypes to validate and test your designs
- Participate in user research and testing
- Look for opportunities to solve problems in unique and innovative ways
- Help maintain visual and brand consistency between all products and outlets
- Collaborate with stakeholders to translate business goals into unique product experiences
- Design graphic user interface elements, like menus, dialogs, tabs and widgets
- Design page elements like buttons, inputs, and search fields
- Develop UI mockups that clearly illustrate how site elements should function and what they will look like
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows and sitemaps
- Create original graphic designs (e.g. images, sketches and tables)
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Identify and troubleshoot UI/UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Conduct layout adjustments based on user feedback
- Adhere to style standards on fonts, colors and images
- Proven work experience as a Visual Designer or similar role
- Portfolio of design projects
- Knowledge of wireframe tools (e.g. Wireframe.cc and InVision)
- Up-to-date experience with design software like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Strong aesthetic skills with the ability to combine various colors, fonts and layouts
- Team spirit; strong communication skills to collaborate with various stakeholders
- Good time-management skills
Who We Need
Cultural Fit - While we hire all kinds of people and invent roles to fit them, there are key traits we require of every team member that really define our team.
- Fun to Work With - Life is short and work should be fun.
- Extremely Smart - We work on cutting edge hard problems and we need people who can both architect and code these systems at the same time while working with a highly intelligent peer group.
- Passionate Builders - We need people who really love building amazing products and exhibit the energy and creativity that comes from being fully engaged in what you do.
- Experienced with Software Development - We need an experienced person with a successful history in software development using tools like JIRA who can hit the ground running.
- US Person based anywhere in the US (100% remote allowed but no offshore)
- 5+ years of Professional experience in similar roles
- Highly Comfortable with web browser based user interfaces
- Experienced interacting with both technical and non technical teams
Full time: We are seeking a full time person for this role.
Remote Working: This role will allow working from home 100% of the time anywhere in the US (no offshore applicants please).
MapLarge is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. MapLarge is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status.