Senior Java Developer
A growing start-up in the electric car space needs YOU to help design and build web-based calculators for electric vehicles
ZappyRide is a software start-up focused on making electric vehicles (EVs) more accessible to consumers and businesses. We are based in New York City, and work with clients all over the United States and Canada. Our target demographic are electric utilities (PG&E), automakers (Ford) and leading non-profits (Plug In America) to make electric cars a reality.
We were early to see the EV transition, and with EVs making only a small fraction of vehicles in the US, think it's just the beginning. As a 3-year-old startup, we have achieved product-market fit and our sales pipeline is strong. We currently have a team of 8 FTEs, mostly engineers and data analysts.
We strive to find the right balance of new and proven technologies in software design. Our tech stack uses Java, React.js, PHP, and an AWS infrastructure. The user experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive and innovative products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users' needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity.
As a Senior Java Developer, you will become part of the core team that builds the technical foundation behind Zappyride's flagship products. We are owners and advocates for the underlying design elements, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure at Zappyride.
As part of the core team, you have a unique opportunity to impact important technical decisions across the company. You will work on projects critical to the emerging EV market as our fast-paced business grows and evolves. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems as we continue to push technology forward.
Our products focus on helping users make the right decisions around Electric Vehicles (EVs), and much of it is through calculations, such as:
- Total cost of ownership (TCO) of a vehicle
- Trip planning and time to charge EVs
- Cost of charging infrastructure
- Impact of EVs on electric bill
- Business case for fleet electrification
Backend Design and Deployment
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable code
- Document and demonstrate solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments, and clean code
- Apply industry best practices and techniques to design, develop, test, deploy, support and maintain complex Java applications based on business requirements using approved technologies and secure coding standards
- Analyzing software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints
- Ensures the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications
- Develop and designs unit test plans and resolves software bugs
- Assist in project planning and architectural design reviews
- Facilitate an efficient development process based on agile principles, and is an advocate for agile principles
- Demonstrate creative problem solving and analytical skills
- Mentors other Developers on programming issues
- Works with Development team to ensure consistency in processes and completion of deliverables among team members
- Exhibit leadership in cross-functional development practices and application ownership
- Provides constructive feedback during project/technical retrospectives for improving internal company operations and processes
- Effectively follows established project communication channels
- Works closely with solution architects and other stakeholders to coordinate plans and activities that affect the solution
Project Management Component
- Assist Project Manager to determine operational feasibility through analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and solution proposal
- Provide technical background input while collaboratively generating project estimates/rough orders of magnitude with the Project Manager
- Work effectively cross-functionally to drive change and influence product and process decisions
- Champion engineering excellence, establishing business metrics, and drive continuous operational improvement
How We Work
At ZappyRide, our work culture emphasizes:
- High professional standards. We aim to make great products in order to have a massive impact on the electric vehicle space. That includes giving world-class treatment to our clients.
- Individual autonomy. We let you run. We minimize meetings and have no problem with remote work.
- Flexibility. The electric car industry is new and requires new thinking. There are many hard problems to solve, and our team has the right mix of creativity and realism to succeed.
You'll work on cutting-edge problems, have a positive impact on the world and the environment, and have access to accomplished mentors who will guide your professional development.
This is the opposite of a 9-5 corporate job. You will work hard, be challenged, but also have a lot of independence, and heavily influence the trajectory of the company.
Why Take This Job?
You will work on interesting problems in a fast-growing industry.
You will have a positive impact on people's quality of life, the local and global environment, and indirectly reduce oil-related geopolitical conflicts.
You will work with smart, driven people - both within our team and with clients.
You will have the ability to make the job fit with your other commitments - working remote is OK, even encouraged.
Looking forward to speaking with you!