Digital forensic researcher invasive hardware and access methods Ministry of Justice and Security, Netherlands Forensic Institute
Functieomschrijving Immerse yourself in research projects covering the analysis, reparation, and accessing of modern integrated circuits at various levels, from packages to components. In addition, contribute to law enforcement in the Netherlands. You will only find that unique combination at the Netherlands Forensic Institute, where you get to work as a digital forensic researcher and examiner.
As a digital expert in the field of invasive hardware and acquisition methods, you will strengthen the Digital Technology team. Your challenge? Develop and apply methods to analyse (reverse engineer) integrated circuits, repair them and modify them at the transistor level so that they can either be read once again, or divulge their secure information.
You will get to work in a well-equipped failure-analysis laboratory (X-ray, RIE, Micro-Mill, Dual-Beam) that you will also help to maintain and modernise. You will work with experts from the Digital Technology team who are proficient in, among other things, reverse engineering, engineering, cryptography, data analysis, silicon analysis and silicon editing. These experts endeavour to extract and interpret forensic information from complex secure embedded systems, such as mobile phones, with hardware-assisted cryptography. Initially you will prepare samples for them on which to conduct their research, and your analysis will help them discover and connect important signals. The scientific research you conduct will help serve case examinations at the Netherlands Forensic Institute.
Our research laboratory collaborates on various projects with similar specialists in foreign forensic laboratories.
- You have a university degree in electrical engineering or an equivalent experience level, preferably in a 'hard' electrical engineering field, such as (HF) electronics, IC design, embedded systems or robotics.
- You have demonstrable knowledge, and preferably practical experience, of IC technology and integrated components. Knowledge of hardware security and root of trust circuits is a plus.
- You have demonstrable knowledge, and preferably practical experience, of silicon (failure) analysis and the equipment used for this (X-ray, RIE and FEG-SEM).
- You have experience with electronic hardware reverse engineering.
- You have low-level knowledge of embedded systems (hardware as well as firmware).
- You have a broad general interest, especially in the field of integrated circuits, signal analysis, cryptography, electronic security, physics and chemistry.
- You enjoy using equipment and methodologies in a broader sense than for which they were intended and show creativity in this area.
- You can independently give substance and direction to your research, but you consult carefully with your colleagues.
- You are a team player and are energized by collaboration and like to take initiative.
- You have an affinity for small-scale chemical experiments (etching), hardware development (FPGAs, PCB development), software development (VHDL, C, Python)
- You have an affinity with the work in the field of justice and examination.
- analytical ability
- planning and organising
ArbeidsvoorwaardenSalarisniveau: schaal 10, schaal 11 Salarisomschrijving: A temporary 8% allowance on top of the monthly salary is applicable because of tight labour market conditions. Maandsalaris: Min €2.756 – Max. €5.039 (bruto) Dienstverband: Arbeidsovereenkomst voor bepaalde tijd met uitzicht op onbepaalde tijd Contractduur: 1 year Maximaal aantal uren per week: 36
Overige arbeidsvoorwaarden In addition to the salary, you receive a so-called individual choice budget (ICB). The ICB consists of funds (16.37% of your gross annual salary) and time. You can use the ICB to make the choices that suit your preferences and you can decide on some of your employment conditions yourself. For example, you can opt to have part of your monthly income paid out at a date of your choosing. You can also convert this budget into leave — and the other way round — or spend it on tax-friendly causes. The Government of the Netherlands strongly values personal growth and career development and offers numerous opportunities to achieve this. The fringe benefits include various study facilities, company fitness training, full reimbursement of your costs of commuting by public transport, and partially paid parental leave.
Bijzonderheden Interested? Once you have responded via the application button, you can upload your motivation letter and CV as a Word or PDF file. We would also like to invite you to tell us something about yourself in your motivation letter.
- The verification of the integrity of our new colleagues is very important to the Netherlands Forensic Institute. For this position, a security investigation B is carried out by at the General Intelligence and Security Service. A non-disclosure agreement is also part of the application process.
- An assessment (psychological and skills test) can be part of the application process, we might request references or use an (online) screening.
- No rights can be derived from the text of this vacancy.
- No agencies please.
- The measures surrounding the COVID-19 crisis also affect the application procedure, which may cause it to be delayed. Where possible, we will provide alternative formats for the interviews.
- During your work, you will wear personal protective equipment for your own safety, but also to prevent contamination of the objects to be examined.