The Wikimedia Foundation’s Online Fundraising team is looking for an experienced developer to join our team as Senior Frontend Developer, Online Fundraising, reporting to the Sr. Manager, Growth and Innovation. As the Senior Frontend Developer, Online Fundraising, you will work closely with our creative leads to implement innovations in our front-end flow that enable us to reach our $100M+ revenue goals and increase progress for our key performance indicators. You will work with our Lead Developer to maintain our front-end codebase, identify areas of improvement in the donor experience, and implement technical solutions that enable donor acquisition, retention, and engagement.
Please note: If your experience looks a little different from what we’ve identified and you think you’d be great in this role, we’d love to learn more about you.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing, testing, and deploying improvements and upgrades to the user interface and experience across various content channels managed by the Online Fundraising team.
- Supporting our Lead Developer in maintaining our front-end code base by implementing version control improvements, refactoring our code base as necessary, and creating documentation.
- Supporting our Sr. Manager, Lead Developer, and Designers in identifying our highest value optimization priorities and implementing a roadmap to achieve them.
- Liaising with stakeholders in other departments, including fundraising engineers, product managers, etc. to ensure we’re providing an optimized front-end fundraising experience.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with MediaWiki markup is a big plus, but can be achieved on the job.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams to ship products and/or project management with multi-stakeholder needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in CS or related field or the equivalent in work related experience.
Qualities that are important to us:
- Strong written communication skills as our collaboration largely happens online.
- The ability to work and communicate effectively within a large team distributed across multiple time zones and with varying degrees of technical proficiency.
- Values alignment and appreciation for the Wikimedia movement’s vision of making humanity’s knowledge accessible to everyone on the planet.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience as a contributor to Wikimedia projects as an editor, developer, or in other capacity.
- Experience with bug tracking and product management tools like Asana or Phabricator.
- Familiarity with A/B testing and contributing iterative enhancements to online products.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.