Software Engineer in Userspace Livepatching
As a Software Engineer in Live patching you will implement, extend and maintain our live patching tooling, mostly for userspace live patching.
Live patching here means replacing executable code in running processes by different code (that presumably fixes problems in the old code), without restarting those processes.
The main purpose of this role is working on designing and implementing our software infrastructure for user space live patching. That includes the mechanisms of applying live patches at run time, tooling to help in generating these live patches, and tooling for managing the live patches in a system.
The work entails low level aspects of a system: how instructions can be replaced, with what to replace them, how executables and shared libraries are represented, how to get at running processes from outside them, how live patches might be represented, and similar.
You represent yourself actively and share your knowledge and further develop it in special interest groups, professional organizations and specialized conferences. You will be using your expertise to advise SUSE product and project managers regarding the technologies to enable and the strategic directions to take.
You will also provide back-up assistance to the support department on escalated issues from enterprise customers that need experienced expertise to be solved. You will help to integrate solutions and fixes back into SUSE products, both for current releases (maintenance) and future ones.
- Maintenance and development of userspace live patching tooling
- Help in development of live patches
- Technical analysis of problems and errors, providing backup for L3 support
- Performance testing, analysis and tuning
- Direct contact with representatives of numerous free/open-source software projects from all over the world
- Active participation in discussions on relevant mailing lists
- Activities connected with participation in professional organizations and specialized conferences
- Excellent knowledge of the C programming language
- Good knowledge of userspace toolchain (compiler, linker, libraries)
- Good knowledge of open-source community principles
- Good knowledge of some scripting language
- Good knowledge of assembly language for 'mainstream' architectures
- Good knowledge of Linux debugging tools
- Good spoken and written knowledge of English
SUSE is a global leader in innovative, reliable and enterprise-grade open source solutions, relied upon by more than 60% of the Fortune 500 to power their mission-critical workloads. We specialize in Enterprise Linux, Kubernetes Management, and Edge solutions, and collaborate with partners and communities to empower our customers to innovate everywhere –- from the data center, to the cloud, to the edge and beyond. SUSE puts the “open” back in open source, giving customers the agility to tackle innovation challenges today and the freedom to evolve their strategy and solutions tomorrow. The company is headquartered in Nuremberg, Germany, and employs nearly 2000 people globally. SUSE is listed in the Prime Standard of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.