LOCATION: Remote within the US
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of highly engaged supporters, we’re building progressive power by connecting grassroots activists to hundreds of people-powered organizations and campaigns.
We are seeking a results-driven Software Engineer to help us build and maintain the Daily Kos platform. You will be hands-on and will actively collaborate with a team of 11 to implement best practice solutions, become a platform master, and translate requirements into delivered products. Applicants must have a drive to continuously learn and improve.
Our offices are in Oakland, CA and Washington D.C., however, we are open to fully remote applicants.
- Contribute to engineering organization impact
- Collaborate with coworkers across the org to scope, design, and deliver solutions for large, complex challenges in the Daily Kos platform
- Partner with internal stakeholders to deliver high quality product releases in suitable time frames
- Evangelize best practices internally and externally
- Clearly communicate technical issues and tie work to company objectives
- At least 2 years experience with Ruby on Rails and 2 years experience with React
- Working familiarity of MySQL, pgSQL, AWS, Varnish, and Redis preferred but not required
- Solid understanding of Linux
- Experience with large and complex code bases, utilizing API design techniques to help keep code clean and maintainable
- Understanding of modern web application best practices
- In-depth understanding of full stack; can navigate and make legacy code maintainable
- Embraces a metrics-driven approach
- Able to reduce unneeded complexity
- Comfortable with the Agile and Lean development process
- Able to actively diagnose and address data scaling and optimization issues
- Ambitious spirit and focus on delivering value into customers hands with excellent communication
- Familiarity with principles of good user experience
- Excellent communication skills, primarily in a virtual work environment
- Willingness to become a Daily Kos platform expert
- Willingness to travel occasionally for events or retreats
Salary Range: $115,000 - $130,000Salaries are based on geographic location
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the Lead Staff Engineer. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, 401K with a company match, remote worker stipend, professional development stipend, company-paid holidays, a generous vacation package, traumatic grief leave, as well as employer-paid parental/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.