We are post-revenue and growing fast. We pay well and offer meaningful equity with a 10-year exercise window (more on that in the offer). The founders have scaled startups previously and are backed by some of the smartest entrepreneurs in the world. Read more on our about page
We strive hard to create a remote, fun, high-growth work environment in which ambitious people can thrive. Please look at our careers page
to learn more about our work culture, values, and your day-to-day.
We care a lot about design and brand. Even as an early-stage startup, we have worked hard to establish our brand. It's reflected in our web presence, marketing efforts, and product.
As our founding product designer, you will help us lay the foundation for long-term product growth. You will work on both our dashboard (that our customers use) and the inbox (that their customers use).
This excellent blog post
from First Round Review captures the essence of this role well. In particular, this quote:
Early-stage employees are chefs at small restaurants — they're always changing the menu and trying new things. Working at a big company is like being a sushi chef — you cut the same fish every single day. People who thrive in uncertain situations, are comfortable with a lack of structure, and can context-switch are good first designer candidates for startups. The best environment for you really depends on your mindset,' said Phin Barnes, Board Partner at First Round.
As we grow, the opportunity to manage a team of designers will surface. However, if you'd rather be a high-performing individual contributor, that's fine with us too.
- Work with the product manager, engineers, and UI designer to create a library of components that we can use to scale up our product development.
- Build click-through mock-ups and high-fidelity visual designs for new features or improve the existing ones.
- Design the interface and interactions for our inbox on the web and mobile (iOS & Android).
- Conduct user research or work with an agency that can help us with it.
- Hire, attract, and onboard other great designers. You can help by referring candidates, writing blog posts about the design challenges, and delivering talks at meetups and conferences. We are happy to cover any costs incurred.
- Shape the culture of our company to create the next Stripe, Twilio, or your favorite company.
These requirements have been selected to make sure you'd be successful at the job. Please read them carefully:
- 6+ years of product design experience, of which 3+ years working at a B2B SaaS startup.
- Expertise in using Figma, our tool of choice.
- An understanding of technical concepts like API, web-hook, and JSON.
- Willingness to go above and beyond. For example, helping other team members become more design aware and proficient in using your design components.
- Excellent communication skills in English. This helps immensely as a remote team.
- Experience working on a dev-tool
- Experience in shipping a design library
- Good writing ability as demonstrated by documentation, README, or blog posts you have written.
- A desire to start your own startup either now or in the future. Startups are hard, and this aspiration will help you appreciate the challenges in the job. You'll get hands-on learning of what building an early-stage startup is like. As a bonus, the founders are prolific angel investors and eager to invest in the startups of our alumni.
We pay well and offer meaningful equity (every full-time employee has equity). We can't match Google/Facebook in their perks, but we make sure you have everything you need to do the best work you have done in your career.
Location: Fully remote
Salary: $120k - $170k (or more if you have a lot more experience than our requirements)
0.50% - 1.00% with standard 4-year vesting and an extended 10-year exercise window after 2 years in service. Read why this matters
Hours: Up to 40 hrs/week. While we don't overwork routinely, as a startup, there are times when you need to work beyond your regular work hours or fix something on the weekend. If that is a strict no for you, we suggest not applying.
We require the EST 10 am to 1 pm overlap, and the rest of the time is up to you to manage. Few meetings, mostly asynchronous communication, and other day-to-day details on our blog
Time off: 30 working days a year (20 PTO and 10 public holidays. You are welcome to take sick days as you need them).
Benefits: Healthcare (with Dental & Vision in the US), paid time off, and an annual all-expense-paid retreat somewhere beautiful. $1k/yr to attend any conferences/events that you find useful.
WFH Support: $5k for computer, standing desk, mic, or anything else you need. Up to $300/mo for a co-working desk. If you need anything else, please ask.
If you read the entire job description, please list out which of the nice-to-haves you possess in the last question of the form.
Why you should join MagicBell
is the notification inbox for web & mobile apps.
As consumers of many apps, we have personally experienced the growing volume of notifications, many of which add to our anxiety. MagicBell is on a mission to end this chaos and help every app deliver a stellar notification experience.
We do this by offering a beautifully designed notification inbox that apps can embed in their products in minutes. We do all the heavy lifting related to real-time delivery & syncing, web & mobile push notifications, email notifications, and even notification preference management.
We sit at an interesting intersection of a dev tool & a productivity tool for end-users. We are helping every app make its users more productive!
MagicBell embraces diversity
- one of the founders is a transgender woman, and another a Latino (Hola!). They are experienced programmers and entrepreneurs and have built a successful SaaS business
in the past. With a decade of working remotely under their belt, they understand how to work across time zones asynchronously.