Are you an experienced writer who wants to grow as Head of Content for our media and become a recognized signature in a fast-growing industry? Rental Scale-Up is a media and consulting company working in the short-term rental industry. On the media side, we are a recognized voice in our industry, in North America, Europe, and Australia. We cover topics such as Airbnb’s IPO, travel trends, new vacation rental tech players, and how to grow a vacation rental business. Our readers are not individual Airbnb hosts but rather property managers who take care of 5 to 200 properties, industry vendors who need to keep up with market trends, and investors who want to know which company is the next Airbnb. You will be the third pillar of the company, alongside the CEO and the Head of Community. We want to grow the company and see you grow in the role. We are looking for a highly detail-oriented content publisher and marketer. You must be an A-player, able to keep track of what you, the CEO, and external and internal stakeholders are doing, always looking to improve, and quick to learn. This content publisher & marketer role is currently shared between our CEO and our Head of Community. You will learn directly from them how to orchestrate and perform these tasks while playing a crucial role by helping the company deliver more content for its readers and for clients who order content from us. You should be willing to learn about the vacation rental industry, ready to explore new ways of creating content (for instance with AI-powered content creation tools), comfortable with reading a basic data chart to write about market trends, critical of what companies like Airbnb and industry vendors claim they can do, and obsessed with delivering insightful content in time for us and for our clients. At first, our CEO will share with you some industry background to help you finetune the angles of your articles. You will be interacting with our clients. You will need to understand their needs and find ways to make their content relevant. This is not about creating filler content for them, but creating for them content that meets the standards of our own publication. You will also be a content marketer. It means using our channels, such as our weekly newsletter and our LinkedIn account to craft messages that will make our target audience want to read the content that you and the rest of the team create. As a side business, we also run a vacation rental business, for which we have a very active Instagram community. Your job will be to take over the management of the account and help create our monthly newsletter. We can teach you how to operate the Instagram account, as we have a series of easy-to-follow processes. An A-Player for the content publisher and marketer role is someone who embodies the following: honesty/integrity, ability to learn quickly, extreme attention to detail, proactivity, ability to prioritize, efficiency, calmness under pressure, enthusiasm, creativity, strong work ethic, great communication skills, and openness to feedback. A-players are always looking for ways to make the business better, to help us all save time and be more efficient, and to learn and grow to make themselves better. They know how to think on their own, proactively get things done, and are excited to take on new projects. Last but not least, they know how to ask for help when needed and to give feedback to others, even to the CEO, when some things could be improved.
About Us/Who We Are
Rental Scale-Up helps short-term company leaders take the right decisions for their business. Our audience and clients are made of enterprising Airbnb hosts who want to start a vacation rental business, large vacation rental property managers who want to scale their business, vacation rental industry vendors who want to get more business, and niche vacation rental listing sites that went to grow their revenues. We also run our own property management companies, with a few villas in Bali and St Barths. For each of these destinations, we have a blog, a newsletter, and social media channels. Our CEO brings his experience as a vacation rental owner, as the head of product marketing for a global actor in the travel industry, and as the publisher of a recognized short-term rental industry media.
About the Role
- Create insightful and actionable content that captivates our industry
- Write and publish on Wordpress 2 articles a week about the industry (in alignment with the CEO and Head of Community)
- Write and publish 2 articles a week for our clients
- Repurpose videos of our monthly industry events into actionable takeaways
- Curate and comment on industry news to share with the team and with our readers
- Use AI-powered tools, such as Jarvis.ai, to explore new ways of creating content (e.g. turning a video transcription into takeaways)
- Attend online and in-person events, first as an attendee and then as a speaker on behalf of the company
- Own the company’s content calendar (internal and clients)
- Manage the publishing schedule for our own articles
- Manage the publishing schedule for the articles to deliver to our clients
- Update our content calendar tool (Asana) to reflect new client orders, assign writing tasks, and prioritize work when the schedule is too tight.
- Amplify content reach
- Get more readers and viewers for our blog articles and Youtube videos
- Share our content across our social media channels and tag in the posts the companies or people that we are talking about. We use HootSuite as a sharing tool (Training will be provided if necessary).
- LinkedIn Page
- Facebook page
- Nokori (social media for the vacation rental industry)
- Prepare the draft of our newsletters
- Newsletter #1 (All readers - weekly)
- Newsletter #2 (Nework members - weekly)
- Newsletter #3 (St Barths - monthly)
- Identify outreach opportunities, such as giving quotes to other media, by going through HARO (Help A Reporter Out) requests daily.
- This is a remote position, working directly with the company’s CEO. It works best if you have some overlap with Central European Time (e.g. Eastern US is ok).
- Most work will be assigned digitally via team management software (Asana).
- We will have a daily team huddle (5 to 10 minutes) and bi-weekly 1-in1s.
- This is a full-time position.
- We are growing the company, so we are open to your suggesting better ways to deliver high-quality work.
- You should also be open to using new tools.
- We value feedback. We have the right to try and fail, provided we take some time to share what we have learned and do better next time. We ship what’s on our plate before starting something new.
- We have a small but growing library of processes and videos to smooth your onboarding. This is also a small company, so it is easy to reach out and find a time to ask questions.
- We expect you to organize your working hours so that you take the time to train and learn every week.
Who You Are
- You should have a minimum of 2 years of experience as a content publisher.
- You should be honest and trustworthy.
- You should be highly detail-oriented and always focused on checking/double-checking.
- You are extremely organized and are good at managing a project and your time. You are great at documentation processes and at following them. You are also able to see where to improve a process and to make suggestions accordingly.
- You should be operations-minded – thinking about streamlining processes and everyone’s experience, writer, designer, and CEO, better at each step along the way. Saving time is saving money!
- You are a native English speaker. You should be good at English grammar, writing, and creating clean and attractive social media posts that elevate our brand.
- You should be able to adapt to Rental Scale-Up’s style - early on we’ll give lots of feedback on the types of images we like, the type of language we like to use on social media, etc. Even these “subjective” pieces are important to a great product.
- You should have a great work ethic - we want A-players who are committed to getting things right and completed on time.
- You should have integrity and honesty and be able to maintain the highest standards of confidentiality.
- You should get along well with our team and have fun! Life is too short to work with a team you don’t like!
- You should not be scared to suggest new, faster, or better ways of doing things! We help our readers and clients make better decisions, so we are ready to have you help us make better decisions too!
- You should try to figure things out on your own before asking the team. Yet, if you are stuck for more than 2 hours on a task, ask for help. It is way better than not being able to deliver on work.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Google Docs, Google Sheets, Gmail
- Optional: Asana or other project management tools
- Optional: AI tools
- Social media - Instagram, LinkedIn, Facebook (Hootsuite is a plus, but training is also available)
- Newsletter publishing tools (Kartra is a plus, but training is also available)
- Basic WordPress (we can train you, but this is a plus)
- If you have been an Airbnb host or a heavy user of Airbnb as a guest, it is a plus.
What’s in it for you?
- Flexible schedule - work from home, a coffee shop, wherever! As long as you’re putting in the hours and getting high-quality work done, it doesn’t matter to us (so long as you’re available for calls when we schedule).
- Discover more about a hot industry: Airbnb is a popular topic and understanding the industry around Airbnb will give you the keys to the whole travel industry.
- Steady income - This is a position for at least one year (if you pass the 1-month probation period). We are demanding but we also have a system of bonuses to keep you motivated.
- 4 weeks' paid vacation.
- Learn and grow - In the past, we hired a social media manager who then became the head of operations of a vacation rental property manager at one of our partners.