We are looking for highly-skilled Python back-end developers / data engineers.
Looking to join a friendly, developer-led company? We're Tech City Labs, a growing data engineering and consulting company.
We're looking for a talented data engineers to join our brilliant team of engaging, experienced developers. You'll be working on client engagements and our own startup-style internal projects, so expect variety and the chance to work on a range of data-heavy projects.
We have several roles to fill, so we'd love to hear from you whatever your level of experience.
Who Should Apply?
- You'll need 4+ years of experience working with Python and an interest in data engineering
- Communication skills are vital: you'll need to be comfortable - and enjoy - working with clients and understanding complex requirements
- As a remote-first business, excellent writing skills are essential: we're in Slack all-day
- We're strong believers in TDD (with Pytest) and you should be too
- Experience working with AWS is a bonus, and being comfortable on the command line is a must
- Must enjoy the challenge of getting stuck into architecture
- You'll enjoy working independently but can contribute to the small, agile teams in which we operate as needed
- You'll be fluent in English, and preferably based in the UK or have experience working in the UK
What will your day-to-day look like?
If you're working on a client project, you'll be part of a small team, responding to client requests and implementing them.
If you're running a new project for our data business, you'll be building data systems from scratch, working closely with our Founder and assisting with API and data pipeline development where required.
Some examples of recent projects include:
- Building data transformations using dbt (http://getdbt.com)
- Creating an API using the Serverless framework (https://www.serverless.com/) and deploying to AWS
- Setting up the infrastructure to track changes in a database and deliver via web sockets in real-time
- Writing data pipelines parse GIS data into PostGIS (https://postgis.net/)
Technologies we use
We understand that good developers can pick up any well-designed technology quickly, so we don't require specific experience other than Python.
If you join us, you can expect to be working with some of the following:
- A whole range of AWS services
Who are Tech City Labs?
- We're a developer-led, data engineering and consulting company
- We're a friendly, collaborative and supportive team with a culture of development excellence
- We value the differences our people bring
- We are committed to remote working - we do get together at least quarterly so you should be prepared to travel occasionally to Reading or other exotic destinations (all expenses covered)
- We're flexible, but you must be able to (mostly) keep UK working hours and attend morning standups
- We practice and preach sound development practices. We hope you'll learn and grow as a developer working with us (and we'll learn from you, too)
- We have a no-drama office policy. We value and cultivate enjoyable working relationships among team members. No arseholes here!
- If you apply, we guarantee that we will give you a response, yes or no; absolutely no ghosting!
What We Offer:
- Flexible benefits - one size does not fit all. Prefer a beer membership to a gym card? That's fine with us
- Need somewhere to work that gets you out of your house? We'll cover a co-working membership at a space convenient for you
- Our quarterly meetups are all-expenses-paid and are enjoyable - really
- Salary accordingly to experience, plus an annual bonus
- 25 days holiday
- A no-bullshit environment: we appreciate our team and do our best to show it.
1. We carefully review every CV we receive
2. For those that we shortlist, we'll ask you to do a short (less than five minutes) VideoAsk interview that is about personality and what makes you tick, not what's on your CV
3. If we think your style will work with our team, and you could be happy with us, we'll then have a 30min 'get to know each other' chat
4. Finally we may ask you to do a short coding test (1-2hr) in your own time, which will be followed by an in-depth technical interview (45min) to discuss the way you approached the coding task (if you did one), your experience and your hard skills
5. If everyone is happy, we'll discuss package details and getting you onboard. If not, we'll be honest about why we didn't proceed to hire.
We respond to every application.