TinyBit is looking for a mid- or senior-level Web Engineer to help us build awesome functionality across our portfolio of companies. Because we’re a small team, you’ll get to work on everything from code to research and strategy. With TinyBit, you’ll join a distributed team of foodies who enjoy helping people and companies get a tiny bit better, every day, forever.
About the role
As a Web Engineer with TinyBit, you’ll work closely with TinyBit’s CTO (the former maintainer of WP-CLI), as well as the general managers of each TinyBit company. You’ll help shape product strategy, collaborate with the other functions of the business (marketing, support, etc.), take the lead on implementing new features, and join a very casual lunch hour baguette-making class with the rest of the team. We work primarily with WordPress and Tailwind CSS. There will be some opportunities to work in React, Vue, and Laravel as well.
To give you a sense of what you might be working on, here are a few projects we’ve recently shipped:
- Re-platforming a Rails-based site to WordPress.
- Adding inline critical CSS to all of our sites.
- Solving the “properly size images” warning by sponsoring an open-source project, RespImageLint.
The future activities of the Web Engineer include:
- Building features for Tasty Recipes, Tasty Pins, Tasty Links, and launching new WP Tasty plugins.
- Continuing to evolve Pinch of Yum, Curbly, Food Blogger Pro, and other brand websites.
- Contributing to our Laravel, React, and Vue-based SaaS offerings.
- Collaborating with the rest of the product and technology organization.
- Providing effort estimations to help us better understand the cost/benefit analysis of opportunities.
- Supporting other engineers as the team expands.
- Helping troubleshoot and fix customer issues, when needed.
- Participating in planning and strategy meetings.
- Be part of a team in occasional (and probably accidentally overly competitive) online escape rooms.
Our ideal Web Engineer has 3-6 years of experience working with WordPress. They should have more recent experience building WordPress plugins and maintaining custom WordPress sites and be excited about developing for the Block Editor.Experience with React, Vue, and/or Laravel is a plus. If you don’t have experience, no worries, we’ll help you learn as the opportunity arises. That whole tiny bit better everyday thing, remember?
Compensation for the Web Engineer role is competitive based on experience. Some of the benefits for US-based full-time employees include:
- Immediate eligibility for the company 401(k) plan with a 100% match up to 4% of salary;
- 10 vacation days and 7 sick leave accrued yearly (sick leave can be used for vacation if needed);
- 1 floating holiday and 1 birthday holiday;
- 15 paid holidays, including the entire week before New Years;
- Medical HRA of $350/month;
- New Apple computer and a $1,000 budget to build your home office;
- Annual team retreat, and budget to meet up with your teammates;
- #potluck Slack channel for regular cooking inspiration.
The Web Engineer role can be a full- or part-time position. Candidates located outside the United States will need to have at least three hours of timezone overlap with US Central Time.
About the company
TinyBit is a ~20 person distributed company whose businesses include Pinch of Yum, Food Blogger Pro, Nutrifox, WP Tasty and Clariti. We start, grow, and acquire online businesses that help people (or companies) get a tiny bit better, every day, forever. We are also a tight-knit team that loves food (obviously!) and prioritizes kindness and gratitude. We prioritize the growth of our team members as much as we prioritize the growth of our businesses, and we believe that one of the ways we can be successful as a company is by positively impacting the lives of our team, helping them develop into the people they want to be in the world. We do this by actively seeking out ways to overlap the needs of the company with a team member’s desire for development, growth, and impact.
Our core values are:
- 1% Infinity – As a company, our purpose is to help people get a tiny bit better, every day, forever. This is reflected in the work we do in two ways: 1. We are constantly thinking about how the products or services we are creating help to improve someone’s life or business. 2. We are constantly thinking about how we can train, support, empower, and improve the lives of our teammates. We take time to listen, guide, and encourage each other and seek ways to understand who our teammates are and what they want to be in the world.
- Internally Motivated, Team-Focused – We are artists, creators, and craftspeople who take pride in the work we do. Individually, we seek to be better in order to do better. Better work means greater impact. Collectively, we know that our ability to make an impact is multiplied when working with other individuals who are equally motivated to be better and do better.
- Energy Giving, Not Taking – We understand that the work we do, and the people we do it with, is one of the most significant decisions we can make in life. It’s for this reason that we are building a team of people who are energy givers, not takers. Some common traits of energy givers include the ability to authentically praise someone else, an interest in others’ lives, being fully present and listening well, and a willingness to laugh, have fun, and play.
- Do the Work – If something needs to get done we do it. We are not above doing small tasks that need to happen in order to move our mission and purpose forward. At the same time, we’re smart about how we delegate, outsource, and strategically work with a team to allocate tasks to areas of expertise and, when appropriate, find ways to have someone else take on tasks and responsibilities in a way that allows us to work on our areas of unique ability.
- Unsurpassable Worth – We believe that every person we interact with, whether a reader, customer, or teammate, has unsurpassable worth, and we treat them as such. In this way, we are all on the same level. This is true regardless of race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
We’re huge fans of the Entrepreneurial Operating System, and are currently rolling it out to the entire company.