As a WordPress Technical Writer, you're responsible for producing high-quality documentation about WordPress plugins and APIs. You write detailed, error-free docs that our customers can rely on to help them reach their goals.
💡 Interested in applying?
🔍 Please read/follow the next steps outlined in 'How to Apply' at the bottom of this listing.Attention to detail is one of our core values! This is your chance to stand out :)
To love this role, here’s the type of person you are:
- You have the ability to research and understand technical concepts, then explain them in simple terms.
- You’re experienced in managing WordPress sites without assistance. You enjoy sharing your knowledge of WordPress to help others.
- You’re used to producing web-based documentation or tutorials.
- You’re comfortable with accepting critical feedback without taking it personally.
- You’re a self-starter who loves taking initiative to solve problems and learn new skills, and are comfortable working with minimal direction.
- You take pride in the quality of your work rather than just doing it to get it done.
- You're results-oriented and focused on the outcome of your work and the impact it has on others.
- You’re an excellent communicator who makes sure nothing slips through the cracks.
- You enjoy helping others on your team succeed.
Common responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Writing technical docs that are easy to read and error-free while following a detailed style guide.
- Diving into new features and documenting them with minimal direction.
- Self-editing and proofreading to make sure your content is easy for a beginner to follow.
- Proactively looking for opportunities to update and improve existing content.
- Working with developers and our support team to complete documentation tasks.
- Making requested edits to your work without expressing frustration or irritation with the editorial process.
- Managing your own schedule in Asana and keeping ahead with minimal oversight.
- Advanced WordPress.org Experience: You’re comfortable with setting up a WordPress site from scratch, configuring DNS records, and troubleshooting errors without assistance.
- Technical Writing: You write technical content in a friendly and conversational tone. You confidently give a reader an accurate solution to their problem without using jargon.
- Web Content Writing: You’re used to producing documentation for websites, not just in printed form. You’re aware of best practices around website content layout, formatting, and readability.
- Self-Editing: You can edit and proofread your own work to a high standard. You can eliminate grammar and spelling errors instead of relying on an editor to fix them for you.
- Image Editing: You can efficiently take screenshots; resize and crop images; add text, borders, or other elements; compress images; and upload and format them in WordPress so that they are clear, useful, and look good.
- Basic HTML: You can use the text editor in WordPress to add link attributes and implement basic formatting of lists, subheadings, anchor links, etc.
- Time Management: You’re able to juggle multiple tasks and projects and prioritize your work effectively to meet all deadlines.
- Previous freelance or remote work experience.
- Personal computer with internet access.
- Availability to participate in video meetings between the hours 9 am - 5 pm EST.
Working for a fast-growing bootstrapped company is a rare opportunity, one we consider a lifestyle choice rather than a job choice. Our positions are challenging, but also come with amazing advantages and fulfillment to those who earn them. Here’s what we offer.
- Competitive Salary.
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance benefits for full-time U.S. employees.
- Health Insurance benefits for all employees in India, Pakistan, Brazil, and Ukraine.
- Work from your home. We’re spread out all over the world – United States, Canada, Ukraine, India, Pakistan, Singapore, and more.
- Unlimited PTO after 90 days of employment. We encourage employees to take the time they need for a vacation, stay healthy, and spend time with friends and family.
- Holidays (based on your location)
- Paid maternity and paternity leave.
- We happily provide or reimburse software you’ll need as well as books or courses that promote continued learning.
- We cover all costs of company travel (including our annual all-company retreat and mini-team meetups).
- Other Perks: AM Welcome Box for new team members, Yearly Anniversary Gifts, and Technology Stipend each work anniversary - including a new laptop to celebrate 5 year anniversary with the company.
- We give you the opportunity to solve challenging and meaningful problems that make a difference.
- Ability to work with some of the best people in the business through frequent, if not daily, interactions.
- And in case you were wondering: no politics, no b.s., and no jerks.
Want to find out even more about Awesome Motive?
Be sure to take a look at our About
pages for details on how Awesome Motive has continued to evolve in order to best help small businesses grow and compete with the big guys, and how we strive to give back.
LocationThis is a remote position - our team is spread around the globe! Our home base is in Florida, USA, so company operating hours are 9am - 5pm ET (UTC -5). While full coverage is not a requirement, you must be available during a portion of the day.
Inclusion StatementAt Awesome Motive, we strive to have the broadest possible view of diversity, going beyond visible differences to include the background, experiences, skills, and perspectives that make each person unique. Awesome Motive is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.
How to apply?If all of this sounds interesting, then please submit your application!
Please clearly include the following in your cover letter:
- The number of years you’ve used WordPress, and your level of proficiency.
- 3 specific links to web-based documentation or technical content that you’ve produced. Portfolio examples must be written in English.
Also note, don't forget to proofread before submitting. Check spelling, capitalization, etc. This is your chance to make your application stand out :)
We won’t be able to individually respond to all applications, but if we feel you’re a strong match, someone will be in touch shortly.
Thanks and we look forward to hearing from you!