Time zones: EST (UTC -5)
, CST (UTC -6)
, MST (UTC -7)
, PST (UTC -8)
, AST (UTC -4)
, NST (UTC -3:30)
What the role looks like:
You love to shape the overall experience of the user, aligning it with the way they think, approach and work to make it an effortless experience for them to get what they want done. You still are drawn to getting hands on with the UX Design, wireframes, mock ups and the nitty gritty of crafting a great user experience, but you also want to lead the big picture thinking around the user journey and the whole product interaction. You are ready to take on a role that uses your skills in leading small teams on UX projects and apply them in a bigger context.
Reporting directly to the CTO, you will be the authoritative voice of all things UX for the Zymewire product. As the design pillar in the Product, Design, and Engineering trifecta, you will be given wide responsibility to audit, organize and structure the UX of a complex B2B web application. Using your experience, you can identify where in the product the best ROI for UX improvements are and the best approach to get results. Establishing and leading a small UX and Design practice within the organization, you will take the helm in beginning the process of defining a long-term vision for the product experience, the design language, the team’s approach to UX and planning and implementing the transformation. Best of all, in this role, you will have the opportunity to work with many other amazing people toward the common goal of solving meaningful problems for our users!
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Reviewing all new feature proposals and leading the development of the interactive elements, sequences and experience of the user within the application.
- Identifying parts of the application where the user’s experience is at odds with their intended experience and leading projects to bring them into line.
- Working closely with a product manager to develop new functionality.
- Working closely with a user interface designer to ensure a great user experience.
- Working closely with front end developers to help bring the design to the user.
- Conducting interviews and experiments with user’s to understand their needs and frustrations with their experience.
Who will be successful in this role?
- Someone who is exceedingly thoughtful about the user experience and hyper focused on making it intuitive and simple vs eye-catching and different.
- A person who truly understands the process of conducting UX design and is comfortable refining existing functionality vs inventing new features.
- Someone who is able to communicate their decisions clearly using a medium like Figma and can also explain and justify the directions chosen.
- An individual with a level of authority and experience to be able to lead the UX team and handle non-designers attempts to push their own ideas.
- Someone who is detail-oriented (so you’ll notice that we’d like you to mention ‘Baymax’ in your cover letter).
- Someone with experience of developing and maintaining a design pattern library to help create consistency throughout the application interface and knows when the right time is to introduce it to the organization.
- Someone who has experience leading multi-person design projects and coached the other designers.
- Someone who has successfully managed small project teams and is looking to ease into a management role over time.
What we’d love to see in your work history:
- 7+ years of experience in user experience and interactive visual design in complex web applications.
- At least undergraduate degree in a relevant field.
- A portfolio that you can share with us.
- Experience with conducting customer interviews.
Why Zymewire? Fancy perks etc.
- Help shape the future of a bootstrapped and profitable Canadian tech company
- Earn yourself some equity (employee options make up 20% of the value of the company at all times)
- Be a part of a tightly-knit team with a thriving hybrid culture
- Three weeks paid vacation + paid statutory holidays
- If based in Toronto, enjoy a dedicated work space at our open-concept office (located in the Junction Triangle) and enjoy the benefits of in-person interactions with colleagues 3 days per week
- Upgrade your home office setup with our remote or hybrid stipend
- Join us for our annual all-company retreat when we reach our goals (past destinations include Bermuda, Iceland, and Costa Rica)
- Earn additional paid vacation days with continued learning ($1000 annual stipend for courses and classes)
- Take part in our Employee Giving Program (you choose the causes and the company provides the funds)
- Basic and extended health and dental benefits
- Paid and topped-up maternal and parental leave
Remote, Anywhere in Canada.
Based on the availability of the successful candidate.
Already picturing your first day as our Senior Lead, UX? Apply now with your cover letter + resumé! We look forward to hearing from you. Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Zymewire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.