Technical Support Specialist (Remote) Americas Business Hours
Are you the type of person who loves to help people solve problems with exceptional attention to detail? Are you a positive person who communicates well in writing and seeks to understand? Do you have experience in working on or building websites?
is looking for a remote Technical Support Specialist to join our growing team. We help growing businesses all over the world succeed with a better website platform that’s especially well suited for our open-source CMS, MODX Revolution. We’re a fully remote organization and have been for more than a decade. Our customers are at the core of our business and we take every opportunity to help them win. As such, we are growing and taking on new challenges every day.
We’re currently seeking someone to cover our North American support hours from 10 AM to 6 PM US Central Time. You’re welcome to apply if this is not your daytime, however, this position requires your full attention during these hours. We’re incredibly proud of the work we do to help our customers—here are some recent examples of what they say about our support team:
“MODX support always goes over and above the expected whenever I need help. Probably the best support I have come across in my 25-year IT career.” Kevin Spice, Dawsongroup, Plc.
“Quick response, professional advise & helpful suggestions to get the issue resolved!” Cynthia Blackburn, Blackburn Photography.
“The help we received was above and beyond. Very specific to our issues, very thorough, and expert. Thank you so much!” Melanie Knapp, George Mason University.
“I always get great customer service from MODX Cloud!” Bruce Park, Bruce Park Arts.
You’d make an excellent fit for this role if…
You’re good at:
- Managing yourself, making effective decisions, and communicating clearly with and collaborating well with colleagues
- Following and improving upon processes, care about the details, and love creating excellent documentation
- Communicating well and seeking to understand—both in text and verbally
- Learning new things quickly and often—and not being afraid to ask for help
- Building websites or creating content in them
Extra awesome if…
- You’ve built or worked with MODX CMS websites
- You have a familiarity with HTML, CSS, JS (bonus for PHP and MySQL)
- You are super comfortable using SSH and working from a shell/command line on servers
- You use the phrase “creative freedom” in your application letter
- You’ve tinkered with Ubuntu and nginx and know what HA means
- You can write and speak Dutch, German, or Russian
What You’ll Do
The daily responsibilities in this role include, but are not limited to:
- Helping our customers get the most out of MODX Cloud and enjoy using our service
- Respond quickly and accurately to customer requests in Zendesk
- Collaborate internally using Slack and Basecamp
- Get things done from home without getting distracted
- Help us improve our self-help and internal customer support tools and documentation
Other responsibilities and activities of this role as you progress:
- Activating features on customer accounts
- Migrating customer sites from external web hosts into MODX Cloud
- Migrating customer websites between our data center locations
- Troubleshooting issues with MODX, WordPress, and the occasional Laravel site
- Creating or updating internal and customer-facing documentation
- Coordinate or participate in the occasional incident responses—it’s servers and the internet after all!
- Participate in on-call schedules for after-hours escalations, though we do have a follow-the-sun support model
What You’ll Need
- Native-like English fluency, both written and spoken. You need to be able to read and listen to requests in English and be able to discuss and take written and verbal feedback from colleagues. It doesn’t need to be your first language but a close second or third.
- Reliable, high-speed internet access, a reasonably modern computer, and reliable electrical infrastructure.
How We Work
We work remotely and embrace Slack, video conferencing, and asynchronous communication to foster positive working relationships with our colleagues around the globe. We also highly recommend pants.
We work in small, highly effective teams, and every person is vital to the success of MODX. Our company is made of thoughtful, creative, problem-solvers who love their craft. We think surrounding ourselves with self-managed people who consistently do good work and positively inspire their co-workers is the greatest work environment. We believe in work-life balance, too.
At MODX, you will have many opportunities to not only do great work but also to impact the company and the team. You will not only improve our products and customer experiences, but you’ll also have a voice in shaping the company culture
Why Join Us (Compensation & Benefits)
We offer above-average competitive pay and benefits based on your location. Folks in the US are hired as full-time W-2 employees and international team members are engaged as full-time contractors. Everyone who works at MODX has opportunities for professional development, and the ability to impact a growing team. MODX is still small enough that your actions will help drive our success. Benefits include:
- The impact of supporting customers using a product that customers from all over the world love, and being part of the reason why it continues to grow
- Unlimited paid time off and vacation as long as your work gets done
- Medical/dental/vision insurance for you and your family (US)
- Free MODX Cloud hosting service for you, your family, and extra-close friends
- Paid travel to MODX Community events and conferences
- Funding support to improve your home office, upgrade your computer, buy software, pick up a generator and UPS, or for a co-working space membership
- Expert BBQ lessons from a lifelong Texan/foodie aficionado
How to Apply
We’d love to get to know who you are and what unique skills and perspectives you will add to our team and culture at MODX. We’d like you to take the time to write an original cover letter in the form of an email that brings those things to light along with:
- Why do you want to work at MODX as opposed to somewhere else?
- Describe a great customer service/support experience you had recently, and what made it great.
- Tell us about a time you taught yourself a new skill to complete a job or project and how you learned it.
- Include a link to your favorite restaurant website.
Then, pick three out of the following real-world support questions below and answer them like you would if you worked here (hint: at this point, we value tone and style over correctness):
- Does MODX Cloud offer non-profit or educational discounts?
- Can I get a download of my website?
- Do you support two-factor authentication (2FA) for signing in?
- How do I get my website into MODX Cloud?
- How do I install WordPress for a blog in MODX Cloud?
- Does MODX Cloud support email inboxes?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org your cover letter and a PDF copy of your CV/Résumé. Use the subject line: “<First Name> is Your Next MODX Support Specialist”.
What Happens Next
We will collect and review applications over the next few weeks. For applicants that look like they’d be exceptional team members, we will have you take some assessments (like personality/culture fit and English proficiency). Depending on those results, we’ll ask that you send us a 90-second video introducing yourself about a time you were involved with a great customer experience. After that, then Zoom interviews will happen for the top applicants.
Initial training for this role typically takes ~6 weeks depending on your past experience, after which time we expect you to be actively working with customers and helping them succeed. As you gain experience and proficiency in this role, you will have the opportunity to become a support leader, with higher compensation, or possibly to move into another role within MODX.
The mission of MODX is to create the best tools for growing organizations to build and maintain amazing, secure, high-performance websites that crush SEO and conversion. We think it’s important to make exceptionally powerful and flexible solutions that are affordable for everyone, not just large enterprises. We call this our “fortuneless 5-million” mostly in the SMB and mid-market space.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value respect, trust, collaboration, and fun. Diverse experiences, backgrounds, viewpoints, and outlooks on life are celebrated and respected—this is a place where everybody belongs.