Remote Devops Engineer
Time zones: GMT (UTC +0)
, CET (UTC +1)
, EET (UTC +2)
, AST (UTC -4)
, FKST (UTC -3)
, IST (UTC +5:30)
Merchstack is looking for a CloudOps Engineer to join our team. You will work to improve upon tools and automation that accelerate the engineering teams’ velocity, improve their developer experience, and reduce their cognitive load. You’ll recommend and implement changes to existing technology, evaluate new technologies, respond to production issues that arise, be challenged with complex problems to solve, and contribute to our technological direction.
To succeed in this role, you will need a breadth of experience, an attention to detail, a no-nonsense approach to security best practice, excellent communication skills, and a practical, non-dogmatic approach to problem-solving.
What you’ll do
- Operate and maintain an existing production kubernetes cluster and its associated cloud resources.
- Design, develop, and support immutable infrastructure using Infrastructure-as-Code (IAC).
- Identify ongoing production issues, troubleshoot them, and resolve them.
- Perform ongoing security maintenance of cluster resources.
- Optimize the automation and tools that enable teams to accelerate delivery.
- Improve the local development experience.
- Continually work to increase observability of logs, metrics and tracing.
- Follow security best-practices and ensure compliance with company policy.
- AWS - SSO, CloudWatch, TransitHub
- Terraform and Terragrunt
- Github Actions, Infracost and Atlantis
- Kubernetes (EKS)
- Prometheus, FluentBit and Grafana
- FluxCD, Helm and SealedSecrets
- Traefik Proxy
- Cloudflare Load Balancing with Argo Tunnels
- Postgres (RDS), Redis (ElastiCache), ElasticSearch (OpenSearch), Airflow (MWAA), S3, SES
- Rocky Linux (RHEL Compatible) running on a few spot instances e.g. bastion hosts etc...
What we look for
- 3+ years of experience in a systems engineering/CloudOps role or equivalent.
- You have experience maintaining production services with heavy traffic and zero-downtime deploys.
- Experience with AWS a must and as well as a strong understanding of cloud networking (DNS, SSL, Virtual Networks, VPC, VPN, Routing, Peering, NATs, Firewalls).
- Experience with Transit Gateways, IPSEC is a plus.
- Detailed understanding of core concepts for Kubernetes APIs and cluster architecture, as well as services and networking.
- Linux sysadmin background required including a proficiency in Python and Bash scripting.
- Experience with GitOps tooling such as Flux is a plus.
- Knowledge of system architecture, networking, and services, including databases (SQL and NoSQL), caching, messaging, search, and various open-source services.
- Experience generating very complex configuration files using Helm i.e. 100s of directives and permutations.
- Deep performance tuning abilities on any of the components in our data stack.
- You know what SELinux is and your first thought isn’t to disable it. Even better is if you can write your own SELinux policies.
- You are detail-oriented and focus on delivering seamless, reliable experiences.
- You care about code quality and are committed to writing reusable, well documented and version controlled code.
- You are intrinsically motivated, able to manage your time, and enjoy working with a distributed team across the globe.
- You believe in asking for help and helping others when they ask, never throwing a problem over the wall
- You approach problems with curiosity, creativity, and flexibility.
- You strive to foster relationships in order to ensure healthy debate.
- You show gratitude and give back.
Merchstack partners with companies on their journey to build, launch, and scale modern eCommerce stores. We work with market-leading technologies and our own internal products to help our customers achieve ambitious digital experiences and unlock new growth opportunities. We are a remote-only company with employees all over the world, including the Philippines, the United States, Canada, Spain, and the United Kingdom. We are a small team with big ambitions and value people who are driven towards delivery and thrive on autonomy and trust.
$60 - $80k per year
We are remote-first but for this position you must be +/- 5 hours of UTC. You must be willing to overlap most of your day with leadership in the UK