Remote Support and pre-sale engineer
ScrapingBee is a web scraping API that simplifies the extraction of data from the web. The company was founded in 2019 by Pierre de Wulf and Kevin Sahin. After funding in 2020 by TinySeed, ScrapingBee is profitable and growing strongly. The team consists of the two founders, as well as Etienne: lead developer, and Nizar: support engineer.
Support has always been a key differentiating factor between ScrapingBee and its competitor, and we need help to delight our 1000+ customers.
As a support and pre-sale engineer, your main missions will be:
- Help existing ScrapingBee customers with their issues (65%)
- Analyze the problems of the customers, reproduce them, and assist them until the resolution of their technical problems.
- Debug client scripts, reproduce bugs in your browser
- Analyze the requests/behavior of the target sites with Chrome dev tools or Charles proxy-type tools.
- Communicate with customers, mainly via live chat (Crisp) mainly in English.
- Help new users understand how ScrapingBee can help with their existing web scraping use case. Most of the time it means having to write some small scraping scripts using “hard-to-use” ScrapingBee features. (25%)
- Update our knowledge base, processes, and documentation. Communicate with the team some product improvements that you think could help our users. (10%)
Tools you will likely use daily:
- Slack for internal communication
- Crisp (live chat) for communication with customers and knowledge base
- Monitoring with Datadog
- Paw/Postman to reproduce API calls
- Chrome dev tools for debugging
- Charles proxy for debugging (rarely)
- Chargebee (subscription and invoicing)
- 2 years of experience in a similar or developer position
- You have fluent written English.
- By good knowledge we mean that answering those questions should be trivial and not necessitate any Google search on your end:
- What is an HTTP GET?
- Give 4 HTTP verbs.
- What is HTML, a SPA, and a proxy?
- What is a CSS selector?
- Why would you want ever want to parse HTML?
- You are autonomous and know how to work remotely
- Experience/interest in web scraping (BONUS)
- Experience with headless browsers: Puppeteer, Selenium, Playwright, and similar. (BONUS)
- Knows the basic of Python / NodeJS (BONUS)
- Step 0: you apply by email at “email@example.com” with [support] as a subject, please don’t forget to mention your timezone in the email
- Step 1: 1h / 1h30 call with Pierre (co-founder, managing tech + support) as he will be your direct manager
- Introduction (15 minutes)
- General web knowledge quiz (30 minutes)
- Q&A (30 minutes)
- Step 2: You’ll receive an example of 5 support tickets by email. We’d like you to answer to them in the best way you can.
- Step 3: 1h call with Kevin (co-founder, managing marketing + sales) as he will be your preferred contact point for everything “pre-sales”.
Salary and benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Work wherever you want
- Flexible hours
- Contractor-based offer
To be sure that you’ve read the application all the way to the bottom please use [support BEE] as a subject for your application email instead of [support] 😉.