Senior Product Designer
As a Senior Product Designer at Buildkite you’ll work on a small team with a big impact, and help shape a tool that thousands of developers use every day. You’ll report to Tim Lucas, our co-founder and design lead, and you’ll be working alongside an existing senior product designer and print designer. In this small team you’ll have the chance to influence all corners of Buildkite’s product and brand.
A typical day for a Senior Product Designer might look like:
- Pairing with a product engineer on Zoom to talk through a new feature being worked on, and working on improvements to UI, copy, and user flows.
- Mocking up user interface ideas in Sketch or Figma, and posting them to Basecamp, to help clarify discussions between everyone on the team.
- Collaborating on a scope doc for a new feature, and helping to explore the possible solutions and tradeoffs.
- Helping polish a new UI animation, pairing with a frontend engineer over Zoom.
- Writing a post to the team on Basecamp with some design strategies and ideas, and getting feedback from a range of perspectives on the team.
- Giving feedback on and helping to iterate our UI component libraries, helping to empower the rest of the team with great design tools.
- Creating polished design assets for product launches, and designing changes to the Buildkite marketing site.
- Joining in the weekly design catchup over Zoom, giving feedback on a commissioned illustration project for a new conference sticker, contributing to a sponsorship booth design idea, and demonstrating designs you’ve been working on.
- Pairing on support to answer customer questions, and venturing into the far corners of Buildkite’s product, tools and documentation to understand how things are working in practice.
This job is for you if you have:
- An eye for detail, and feel comfortable advocating for the user through the lens of great design.
- The ability to navigate ambiguity, create clarity through design, and lead by example.
- Experience working closely with frontend and backend engineers, and enjoy participating in the process of bringing your design ideas to life.
- An interest in working in remote, cross-functional teams.
- Worked on an existing product, helping to iterate it towards an overarching vision.
- Confidence to seek critical feedback, ask questions, and participate in decision making.
- Experience with leading discussions about tradeoffs in the product development process, and helping to ensure a cohesive product experience in the face of challenges.
- An interest in helping build a small company with big impact, and influencing many aspects of the business with great design.
- Proficiency in Sketch, Figma, Illustrator, or other design tools.
- Basic proficiency in HTML and CSS.
- Basic proficiency working with Ruby on Rails or similar web app framework.
Benefits and Salary
- Salary of AUD$130K-$160K (US$90-$110K, €80-100K) depending on experience, plus benefits, for 38 hours per week (pro-rata for part-time). Salary amount excludes superannuation / 401k.
- Equity and profit share.
- 6 weeks paid annual leave.
- 6 months paid parental leave for primary caregivers, and 3 months paid parental leave for secondary carers with superannuation/401k and continuation of all benefits.
- Comprehensive hardware and phone budget every 24 months.
- Training and conference budget.
- Wellness budget.
- Private healthcare.
- Green commuting budget.
- Expense card.
- Home office expenses, and co-working budget.
Buildkite is a continuous delivery platform that helps development teams ship quality code, fast. Making developers happy and productive makes us happy, and we’re lucky to work closely with some of the best software teams in the world, including Airbnb, Shopify, Wayfair, Intercom, PagerDuty, and Basecamp.We are an independently owned, profitable company that values sustainable growth, transparency and work-life balance. We're currently a distributed team of twelve, and work remotely from Vancouver, Perth, Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne.Read more about us at https://buildkite.com/careers