Backend Ruby Engineer
Who’s Clearcover? Clearcover is the smarter car insurance company. We use powerful technology to offer everyday drivers better coverage for less money. We’re proud to be one of the fastest growing startups in Chicago, and we’re currently looking to add a few more extraordinary people to our team.
What’s a Backend Engineer? Reporting to the VP of Engineering, Matt Dressel, the Backend Engineer will work collaboratively with the larger Product and Engineering team to further develop backend services to support acquisition, third party integrations, claims and insurance product.
What will you do?
- Design, build and maintain our backend Ruby on Rails infrastructure
- Own features from start to finish while working with your scrum team to ensure excellent outcomes
- Collaborate with other teammates to creatively solve problems ranging from scalability and performance to users interface and experience
- Help improve, expand and maintain our acquisition, applicant and customer APIs
- Work with the engineering and product team to help bring the features on our ambitious roadmap to life for our customers
What do you have?
- Fluency in Ruby/Ruby on Rails and RSpec or similar testing frameworks
- Strong understanding of RESTful API conventions
- High standards for quality and attention to detail
Nice to haves?
- Fluency in Typescript, Python, Scala and/or Kotlin
- Ability to strike a balance between the needs of today with building towards a greater future
- You use data driven development to build, scope and define features that have a measurable impact
- Experienced with domain driven design to help explain and simplify complex problems
What's in it for you?
- Unlimited PTO, we hire adults
- Equity for all employees, so you own a piece of the pie too
- Dental and Vision, we've got you covered 100%
- Medical, we cover 90% of your premium and contribute to your HSA and HRA (cha-ching)
- We invest in your future by contributing 3% of your salary to a 401(K), even if you don't
- Come to work pre-taxed through our FSA commuter benefits
- and yes, we have unlimited LaCroix, beer, snacks and the occasional ice cream social