Ruby on Rails Engineer (Remote)
Web Summit is a global technology conference company based in Dublin, Ireland. We run a series of international gatherings across the world. Our flagship event is Web Summit, held in Lisbon. In less than 7 years, Web Summit has grown from a small team to a company of over 150 focused on disrupting the conference industry through technology and data science. In 2017, over 100,000 startups, investors, speakers and other attendees gathered at Web Summit events, including Collision in the US and RISE in Hong Kong.About the team
We’re looking for software engineers of all levels to join our growing engineering team at Web Summit. The engineering team is broken up into smaller cross-functional teams which deliver different business projects; like ad-automation, core data APIs, attendee web applications and internal optimisation tools. At Web Summit we believe that the power of data and engineering can be applied to every facet of our events to make the attendee experience excellent, so whatever projects you work on you’ll work closely with our UX engineers, data scientists, event engineers and web developers across all our conferences: Web Summit in Lisbon, RISE in Hong Kong, MoneyConf in Dublin, and Collision in New Orleans.What you’ll achieve at Web Summit:
- You’ll contribute to the architecture and development direction of the team to ensure quality code is written and excellent products are built.
- You’ll work across the stack (Rails, AngularJS, PostgreSQL, Redis, Linux) to deliver quality, maintainable code in order to power the best conferences in the world.
- You’ll collaborate and learn with other team members via mentoring, code reviews, and technical talks.
- You’ll learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & development process.
Who you are:
- You have an analytical mind and love solving problems.
- You care deeply about engineering culture and the quality of products you and your team build.
- You have experience working in a Kanban or Scrum team driving everyone around you to perform to their utmost.
- You love the web and new technologies (AWS Lambda looks cool).
- You’re knowledgeable in a broad spectrum of products and recent developments; making smart choices about technologies to be adopted.
Skills and abilities we’re looking for:
- Computer related MSc is a plus.
- Commercial experience in Ruby or other object-orientated language.
- Solid understanding of *NIX.
- Solid experience with AWS, GCE or other cloud providers.
- Experience with Ruby, Node, and/or Python.
- Experience with AngluarJS, React and/or Ember.
- Experience with Redis, Postgres or Neo4j.
- Open source contributions to a project in any language (even English) is a plus.