Senior Engineer, Android
HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Senior Android Engineer to join our growing team! This role will be based remotely in Toronto, Canada.
HOMER is the essential early learning program for kids 2-8. Powered by the HOMER Method, the most effective way for your child to learn— our expert-designed proprietary learning framework is research-backed and kid-tested to give your child the best start to their learning journey. Focused on both academic and personal skills, HOMER develops confident learners prepared for both school and life.
We are a high-growth business with an amazing set of investors. We offer competitive compensation including equity and full benefits in a creative, flexible environment that invests in professional development.
Reporting to our Engineering Manager, Android, the Senior Android Engineer will expand our technology stack to include native Android applications. This role will be responsible for creating reliable, scalable, and high-performance mobile apps for Android based systems, contributing to software architecture and driving best practices that enable a quality product.
- Make direct technical contributions (writing, debugging, reviewing and deploying code).
- Provide technical guidance and feedback to your team members on a team distributed in several time-zones using agile project management methodologies.
- Contribute to technical design of applications and participate in larger system design efforts.
- Build automated tests and help maintain existing testsuites.
- Demonstrable expertise designing and building native Android applications and shared frameworks (SDKs).
- Proficiency in Kotlin and knowledge of the Android SDK and Android ecosystem.
- Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available in the Google Play Store.
- Experience consuming data from web services.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience (or undergraduate degree in Computer Science and 3 years of relevant work experience).
- Sound Computer Science fundamentals
- Familiarity or experience working with GraphQL APIs.
- Experience with making products based on data and A/B testing.
- Interest in innovations within the mobile industry.
- Experience working with offshore teams.
We like people who:
- Collaborate effectively with stakeholders and other team members (product managers, UI/UX designers, engineers, animators, illustrators, data scientists and others) to define and refine requirements and then execute on them.
- Ability and willing to switch programming languages as necessary.
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset and know how to balance speed to market and elegance in technical design.
- Are passionate about and thrive in a culture of learning and teaching. You love challenging yourself to constantly improve, and sharing your knowledge to empower others.
- Care about solving big, systemic problems. You look beyond the surface to understand root causes so that you can build a complete and long-term solution for the whole ecosystem.
- Want to be part of an organization with a transparent and agile environment where you can communicate freely and openly.
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits.
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers.
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits.
- The chance to have a big impact, quickly.
- Help bring a love of reading and learning to children globally!
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.