Remote Director of Product |The Profession |
The Art of Education University (AOEU) is seeking a Director of Product. The Director of Product will be tasked with the vision, strategy, and ongoing development of the organization's digital products. This includes SaaS professional development and curriculum products, and Learning Management and Student Information Systems. The Director of Product will own the entire product life cycle, including ideation, release, stakeholder engagement, continual improvement and data analysis.
AOEU is a unique type of University with a unique tech stack to support our innovative work. We’ve pushed Wordpress in some creative ways: building a custom SIS, and curriculum/ professional development platforms, We incorporate many custom API integrations to leverage the best platforms possible in order to provide a seamless customer experience on the front end.
We believe products should be so simple and beautiful they speak for themselves in a sales demo. We believe in simple back-end solutions to make it as easy for customers and our team to use our products. We are wary of feature creep, but always seek continual improvement.
We are seeking a proven leader who can understand where we’ve been and bring new and creative ideas to build what doesn't exist for the future. We are on a rapid growth trajectory. We need a leader who can grow a product team and bring their background and expertise to help AOEU evolve to the next level.
The Art of Education University | Who We Are |
MISSION Our mission is simple, driven, and inspiring: We grow amazing art teachers by providing rigorous, relevant, and engaging professional development at every stage of their career.
BELIEFSAOEU is an innovative and fast-growing institution of higher education serving art teachers around the world. In 2019, we became the first homegrown graduate university in the state of Iowa in 50 years and the world’s first “University For Life,” serving art educators throughout an entire lifetime of learning.
The Art of Education University serves tens of thousands of students, readers, and customers around the U.S. and in over 40 countries. Our Magazine is read more than 800,000 times each month, our events are attended by over 4,000 art educators annually, and we serve over 2,000 graduate students each year.
The Details | Director of Product | As a department head, the Director of Product is in charge of a board scope of product-related activities:
Product Vision and Strategy
- Establish high-level product vision in collaboration with senior leadership.
- Conduct an extensive needs assessment with both internal and external stakeholders to determine and develop and short and long term product roadmap.
Process and Product Management
- Lead the product lifecycle, from ideation to release.
- Plan and prioritize what (and when) the product teams will deliver.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to ensure product delivery.
- Build and monitor plans around the ongoing performance of current product offerings.
- Define and analyze metrics that inform the success of products.
- Directly and indirectly managing those involved in the design, modification and evaluation of all phases of a specific product or group of products.
- Engage with existing employees to assess and prioritize their product needs.
- Engage closely with the sales, marketing, customers to gather and promote the most relevant ideas into features.
- Go-to-market: Work with cross-functional teams to deliver a complete product experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with leading the development and use of digital platforms and technology products.
- Ability to create a vision and also execute on the day to day implementation.
- Experience working on an Agile development team.
- Ability to concisely breakdown and communicate complex ideas.
- Sophisticated communication (written and verbal), negotiation, problem-solving, collaboration skills to effectively work with other leaders, customers, and stakeholders to evolve AOEU’s products.
- Experience with key evaluation metrics that drive prioritization and continued investment decisions within the organization.
- Track record in developing and taking new innovative products to market.
- Ability to identify, own, and solve problems independently or as part of a team.
Work EnvironmentThe duties of this position are typical of those performed in the home office setting with normal ranges of temperature. The majority of tasks will be performed while sitting at a desk.
- Position requires considerable concentration and focus throughout the day.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift items such as laptops, monitors, and the like.
- When traveling:
- The ability to lift or push your suitcase.
- Ability to carry/lift up to 25-50 lbs of presentation materials for customers or for conference presentations, etc.
VISUAL and TACTILE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to view computer screens for significant periods of time. The Art of Education University is an online university. Therefore 95-98% of one’s time will be on or using technology.
- Ability to use a laptop keyboard with accuracy.
- Ability to hear at normal levels and through electronic devices such as laptops, earbuds, phones, and the like.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Product management experience in a SaaS or Cloud-based company.
- 7+ years of experience leading digital products across multiple lines of business.
- In-depth knowledge of web systems and architecture, design and development.
- Hands-on experience with complex project management, and knowledge of various Agile frameworks.
- Experience working in or within K-12 and or Higher Education industry.
- Experience in data analysis and data-driven product design.
- Experience working in a remote capacity is strongly preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
POSITION DETAILSStructured as a full-time, exempt, and salaried position, this individual will report directly to Derek Balsley, Founder and CEO. Compensation is commensurate with education and experience. Payroll is issued on a monthly basis paid on the 15th of the month.
Group healthcare plans are available. The Art of Education University will contribute 100% for full-time health, dental, and vision, employee-only coverage. Family coverage is available at an additional premium.
The Art of Education University offers participation, upon hire, of a 401K plan with up to a 4% match of employee contributions.
Appropriate and up-to-date technology is provided.
Unlimited self-managed PTO is offered to full-time members of AOEU. Extended vacations must be pre-approved. Flexibility exists so long as responsibilities are fulfilled and careful planning and communication are evident.
Persons interested in applying should complete the application form linked below. Applicants are required to submit a short 1-3 minute video explaining why they would like to be considered for the position and why they are uniquely qualified. Failure to submit a video will automatically eliminate you from the application process.
Candidates who make it to Round 2 of the Application process will be required to complete a packet for review, prior to their scheduled interview time.
Finalists will have one final culture interview with the President of the University.
The Art of Education University is committed to taking the time to find the right fit for our positions. This process may be more rigorous than you are used to. We have set up several interview steps to make sure this will be mutually beneficial to both our institution and our next new team member. We hope you take this journey with us!
- Interested applicants should complete the Application packet and upload a current resume by September 30, 2020.
- Candidates selected for an interview will be notified as applications are submitted.
- Anticipated position start date of October 15, 2020.
How to Apply | This Is Me |
- APPLY HERE: https://theartofed.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=69