Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 305 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
As a Distinguished Engineer in our team, you will be leading development to define how large-scale merchants worldwide integrate with the current and next-gen PayPal Commerce Platforms. You will play a critical role integrating complex systems and multiple properties into one seamless, unified platform that leverages multiple engines to provide a powerful payments and payouts experience, including API strategy (GraphQL and REST, webhooks, streaming, SDKs), sandbox and playground environments, simulators, and all other aspects of integration and developer experience. These platforms combined are responsible for processing more than half of PayPal’s transactions worldwide, so this is a high-stakes role – there are very few mission critical APIs like this in the world, with this kind of scale and complexity, and that power so much commerce and so many businesses worldwide. You will play a key and critical role defining how the platform developer experience is shown to the world.
The ideal candidate will prefer to have no direct reports, being passionate to focus on very hard and deep technical problems, and collaborating with many teams to move big rocks forward. That said, as one of the senior-most individual contributors in the engineering ladder, the candidate will be expected to lead hundreds of others through influence, providing guidance and mentoring as needed, making the whole team better through experience, knowledge and technical talent, making the entire organization more capable of successfully completing larger projects with higher technical complexity.
Finally, the ideal candidate has a proven record of leading efforts to solve large, complex problems. They balance competing technical and product requirements, level up the engineers around them, identify and communicate effectively with all stakeholders, and consider both immediate tactical needs and long-term strategic planning.
· Work with Product, Platform and Engineering leaders across the team to identify the most valuable areas of technical contribution, advancing key valuable initiatives, reducing risk on critical projects and advancing our technology stack.
· Drive both technology and product innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development.
· Provide technical guidance and leadership in design, development, scaling and operation of software applications.
· Be a technical subject matter expert and represent the full internal and external capabilities of our platforms to enable solutions to complex, large-scale customers.
· Mentor, coach, advise and level up engineering talent across the organization.
Skillset and requirements:
· Bachelors degree in Computer Engineering/Computer Science or related field.
· Track record leading, developing, and delivering significant software projects.
· Expertise in designing and troubleshooting large scale distributed systems.
· Proficiency in managing cloud based large-scale infrastructure. Experience with building solutions on the Cloud (ideally GCP and AWS). Experience designing and building systems with Docker containers and Kubernetes.
· Experience in Domain Driven Design and modeling complex business domains.
· Demonstrable experience building complex customer facing platforms, inclusive of complex APIs and other aspects of developer experiences (sandbox, playgrounds, simulators, etc.).
· Demonstrable and in-depth experience with Java stack. Ruby on Rails very desirable.
· Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems internals and administration.
· Established experience with monitoring/logging tools and best practices.
· Experience in software release lifecycle with modern distributed version control (e.g. git).
· Experience working in an Agile environment, including Extreme Programming practices like Iterative Development, Continuous Integration (and Deployment) and Test-Driven Development.
· Great analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Strong communicator, both written and spoken.
· Approach problems with humility, rigor, and decisiveness.
· Demonstrate a high emotional quotient and empathy for your colleagues, creating psychological safety while tackling tough problems and navigating conflicts.
· Identify and solicit input from all stakeholders, balancing competing needs and distilling a coherent strategy.
· Lead by meeting people where they are at and building bridges to where you need them to go.
· Emphasize iterative progress, risk management, and delivering value.
· Leave the campsite cleaner and people stronger.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at email@example.com