TED stages conferences and produces video media that it brings to millions of people around the world, through web media and other platforms. As a Back-End Engineer, you will be responsible for the backend systems that power our user-facing experiences that power a lasting archive of ideas. You will work directly with experience designers and product owners to take new features from conception to production.
QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
- 5+ years Ruby on Rails experience, including gem development or rails engines
- 8+ years overall professional experience in software development
- Experienced in relational and document-based databases
- Strong focus on code-quality, documentation, test-driven development, performance, scalability, monitoring, and readability
- Able to debug and test problems through complex interconnected HTTP based services.
- Experienced with Devops technologies including Docker/AWS
- Curious and knowledgeable about web technologies and frameworks.
- Able to refactor legacy projects in addition to greenfield development
- Strong ownership of work with the ability to drive projects from inception through to completion, balancing doing it right and doing it fast
- Values cross-functional collaboration and a diverse workplace
- Familiarity with git, version control, and Unix/Linux command line best practices
- Experienced in building APIs for internal and public consumption, JSON:API or GraphQL a plus.
- Analyze user requirements and design solutions for new features
- Design tools and libraries that will be used by other back-end engineers and company-wide
- Manage and monitor back-end testing, performance, and code quality
- Influence and guide the direction of our products and back-end technology
- Experiment with new technologies and share discoveries with the team
- Foster growth and support other back-end engineers through constructive, collaborative code reviews
- Clearly communicate technical constraints and opportunities with stakeholders
- Willingness to contribute however possible to ensure overall effectiveness of position
- Other duties and special projects as may be assigned from time to time
- Travel: Upon request / as needed
- Full health benefits (medical, dental, vision) 100% paid by TED for employees
- Paid family leave
- Work-life balance encouraged (TED closes for a 2-week summer break and 1-week winter break plus you're eligible for additional paid time off)
- Free OneMedical and SpringHealth membership for you and your dependents to address physical and mental well-being
- 401k with match