As a Test Engineer (TE), you are the testing heart of the development team that you work with. You look to ensure that the development team has a sound testing strategy and is following effective testing methodologies. You work with engineering managers and product managers to ensure that testing is included in development plans and that the Quality and Test Engineering team is also planning accordingly. You provide a clear and concise view of the results of the testing activities. You will work closely with your Quality and Test Engineering peers to ensure that common approaches are used where there is clear benefit. You will also lend your expertise to your peers in order to build a strong test engineering culture throughout the Wikimedia Foundation.
You are responsible for:
- Work closely with development teams in defining their test strategy, including coverage goals, test plans, and test execution prioritization.
- Work closely with development teams in instrumenting their workflow to build a comprehensive picture of test coverage and results in order to help assess risk.
- Work closely with development teams during the design phase to ensure the usability of the product or feature. .
- Test new features and improvements to verify that the software we create is reliable, usable and works as intended.
- Identify test automation candidates and work with Software Engineers in Test and developers to develop automated tests.
- Be an ambassador and educator of good testing practices.
- Participate in the development team planning process to provide feedback on new features and estimation.
- Participate in the development team retrospectives in order to identify test improvement opportunities.
Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of experience working as Test Engineer.
- Deep understanding of software testing strategies and tradeoffs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of test methodologies, writing test plans, creating test cases and debugging.
- Experience with SDLC and Software Quality principles
Qualities that are important to us:
- Ability and willingness to occasionally travel for team meetups, including international travel.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with test automation using Selenium and/or Cypress.
- Familiarity with FLOSS.
- Experience working asynchronously in a globally distributed organization.
- Experience working with other Test Engineers on a centralized testing team.
- Experience contributing to Wikimedia projects
- Working knowledge of a language other than English
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.