Arcadia is a technology company revolutionizing the energy industry. We make choosing clean energy easy for everyone, no matter where you live or who your utility provider is. Founded in 2015, Arcadia set out with one purpose that continues to drive us today: a 100% clean energy future.
Tackling one of the world’s biggest challenges – climate change – requires out-of-the-box thinking and diverse perspectives, so we’re building a team of individuals from all different backgrounds, industries, and educational experiences. If you share our passion for building a future powered by 100% renewable energy, we look forward to receiving your application and learning what you would uniquely bring to our organization!
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking an experienced candidate with a background building scalable web infrastructure to join the Systems Engineering team as a Senior DevOps Engineer. The ideal candidate has prior experience tackling scalability challenges at tech startups undergoing rapid platform adoption & growth, strongly believes in infrastructure as code, and relishes the chance to take on a highly visible role within a collaborative engineering team. This is a rare opportunity to solve new & complex problems related to applications and engage with both cutting-edge and tried-and-true cloud technologies while helping expand renewable energy access to millions of households across the country!
This role is based in Washington, D.C. with the potential to work remotely and reports to the Engineering Manager on the Systems team. Our core stack includes several Ruby on Rails apps, a GraphQL service layer, and a number of React clients. We also have a data pipeline that relies heavily on AWS Lambdas running Python. Our infrastructure is primarily AWS-based, using Cloudformation. In your application, please include a link to GitHub or another place where your code is published, though we understand that not everyone has public code online.
What you’ll do:
- Help evolve and maintain our application infrastructure
- Collaborate with the rest of the engineering team, as well as the analytics & data science team, to spec, build, test, and deploy new features and functionality
- Mentor and guide teammates, empowering them to make good design decisions
- Author and maintain business-critical infrastructure-as-code
What will help you succeed:
- 3+ years (5-8 preferred) of experience in a startup environment as a Site Reliability, DevOps, or Systems Engineer supporting high-availability, large-scale web-based applications
- Experience with Cloudformation or similar (Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience managing and maintaining a resilient, fault-tolerant services-based cloud infrastructure (ideally on AWS)
- Strong communication skills and the ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, actionable information for product managers, analysts, and/or other engineers
- Mentorship/coaching skills; demonstrated ability to provide constructive feedback in code and design reviews
- Ability to scope, prioritize, and deliver on project commitments
- Love of mentoring & modeling behaviors for writing tests, code review, design documentation, debugging, and troubleshooting
- Insatiable curiosity about how things work
- Experience working with data warehouses (Redshift, BigQuery, etc.)
- Experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience with Ruby and Rails
- Experience with AWS Lambda
- Market-based compensation (salary + equity)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Paid Time Off (holidays, vacation, professional development, volunteer, parental leave
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, & efficiency
- Professional development opportunities
- All-company lunches
- Free clean energy
- A chance to decarbonize and disrupt the energy sector
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. While we are currently unable to consider candidates who will require visa sponsorship, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.